These are words that I want to keep an eye on, while studying for my GRE. I hope you find them useful too!!!
I've included some humorous examples where possible, and where I had time. This is in no way a complete list. If you want some real preparation, my best suggestion is to head over to http://www.number2.com and create a free account (though I found their service more helpful for math than vocab.) Or you could search Google for wordlists.
Definitions have been adopted from various online dictionaries.
- To abolish, or cancel, by authoritative action.
- To ignore, treat as non-existant.
While citizens around the world wish to abrogate pollution, authorities abrogate their calls for action.
- Of or pertaining to study or scholarship.
- Useless, of no practical use.
The knowledge obtained in academia is very academic.
Fear of open, wide, large spaces.
Verb form is accoutrements: equipment.
Antonym: Deccretion (subtraction).
-ccretion pertains to material.
Acerbic, acidic, acidulous.
NOT TO BE CONFUSED WITH ascetic, meaning renunciate, or holy.
ALSO NOT TO BE CONFUSED with aesthetic: meaning beautiful or pleasing.
- Of or pertaining to an actuary; an accountant.
- Of or pertaining to statistical evaluation.
The actuary was hired to do actuarial analysis of the data.
- An oath.
- Solemn urging.
Despite my adjuration to drive slowly, my friend would make no adjuration of caution.
- Staff in military or other similar hierarchical structure who handles correspondence.
- An assistant, factotum
Factotum means one who has many responsibilities (covering many subjects) or a general servant.
My adjutant has been assigned to write my homework.
Having skill, cleverness, etc.
Adroit leaders will find that inspiring people to good is easier than advertised
Eagle's Nest, or nest of large birds of prey.
Questioning the existence of God.
Many youth, abrogating adherence to any particular religion, profess to be agnostic.
- Allowance paid from one spouse to the other after divorce, usually ex-husband to wife.
- Allowance one receives for living expenses.
If I am to go to Grad School, I will have to obtain alimony of some sort.
- The name of a member of a race of female warriors in Greek Mythology.
- A female warrior.
- A masculine woman.
- A specific type of parrot from Africa.
- A place in South America, named after the river.
- Of questionable origin.
- Erroneous, or fictitious
- Of or having to do with Apocrypha
So what is Apocrypha?
It seems that Apocrypha are the writings concerning Christ's life that didn't make the Roman Catholic Church's cut into the Bible. They were labeled as non-trustworthy, and inaccurate, a label that only recently is starting to fade.
- A sprinkling of water, esp. in religious ceremonies.
- A falsehood, meant to slur another's character.
The pujari cast an aspersion over the devout crowd, while the atheist cast aspersions on his character.
- An unfounded story.
- Horizontal stabilizers on aircraft that are situated foreward of the main wings.
- An aircraft having such features.
The boy's canard involved him flying a canard, without canards!
- Absolute, unconditional (as in, without limitations or conditions).
- pertaining to categories, or classification (Taxonomy - the science of classification).
Youth around the world have categorically stated that they stand for an intense campaign against climate change.
- To abrade, chafe, take the skin off of.
- To strongly censure.
Humanitarians and Human rights activists, by default, excoriate torture methods using excoriation.
Complacently or inanely foolish, silly.
Obtuse people often fatuously rely on vertical stripes. (No offence intended)